Athlete from Belarus says she was taken to airport to go home after criticizing coaches

A sprinter from Belarus said she was taken to the airport against her wishes on Sunday to board a flight back home after she publicly complained about national coaches at the Tokyo Olympics.

Krystsina Tsimanouskaya, who was due to compete in the women’s 200 metres on Monday, told Reuters she did not plan to return to her country and that she had sought the protection of Japanese police at Tokyo’s Haneda airport so she would not have to board the flight.

I will not return to Belarus, she told Reuters in a message over Telegram.


U.S. medalist Raven Saunders does ‘X’ protest at Olympic ceremony to support oppressed

Millions in India were affected by Covid. Relatives abroad grapple with distance and loss.
The Belarusian Olympic Committee did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Download the NBC News app for breaking news and politics

Tsimanouskaya, 24, said coaching staff had come to her room on Sunday and told her to pack. She was taken to the airport before she could run in the 200 meters and 4×400 meters relay on Thursday.

She said she had been removed from the team due to the fact that I spoke on my Instagram about the negligence of our coaches.

Tsimanouskaya had previously complained she was entered in the 4×400 m relay after some members of the team were found to be ineligible to compete at the Olympics because they had not undergone a sufficient amount of doping tests.

Mary Carillo calls Tokyo ‘the most emotional Olympics I’ve ever been to’
JULY 31, 202102:32
Some of our girls did not fly here to compete in the 4×400 m relay because they didn’t have enough doping tests, Tsimanouskaya told Reuters from the airport.

And the coach added me to the relay without my knowledge. I spoke about this publicly. The head coach came over to me and said there had been an order from above to remove me.

Tsimanouskaya added she was standing next to Japanese police at the airport and she has reached out to a member of the Belarusian diaspora in Japan to retrieve her at the airport.

Haneda police said there was no one immediately available to comment.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *